Generation X is undergoing more plastic surgery procedures than any other subset of Americans. As explored in a previous article, younger generations are testing the waters in terms of changes to their bodies as well as increasing self-confidence. Generation X is no different, also choosing to jump on the bandwagon. This generation, consisting of those between the ages of 35 and 50, are opting for enhancing their appearance sooner, choosing not to wait until the wrinkles appear or loss of soft tissue occurs. Rather, these adults are taking the initiative beforehand to achieve their most desired look.
This subset of Americans accounts for the most cosmetic surgical and nonsurgical procedures…
According to statistics recently released by theThe American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) this subset of Americans accounts for the most cosmetic surgical and nonsurgical procedures, more than 40 percent of the total performed for that year. This adds up to about 4.2 million procedures, beating out Millennials and even Baby Boomers. What are the most common procedures?
- Tummy tuck: More than half of all tummy tuck procedures, also known as abdominoplasty surgery, 53 percent, are performed within this age group. This can help improve overall contour, eliminate stretch marks and create a more toned appearance.
- Breast lift: Gravity can have a great effect on the breasts, causing them to sag disproportionatelyas well as lose overall shape. More than 50 percent of patients in this age group choose to undergo this procedure, restoring the breasts to a higher, more youthful position. Since 2000, breast lift surgery has increased by 70 percent, outpacing breast augmentation procedures two to one.
- Liposuction: More than 46 percent of Generation X patients have undergone this procedure. By sculpting the body into a more appealing contour, patients can eliminate fat deposits and target hard to remedy areas such as the love handles or abdomen.
- Breast reduction: Many women who are a part of Generation X decide to have breast reductions. There are many reasons why women choose to have this surgery done including back pain, neck pain and overall discomfort. A breast reduction has also been known to increase self-esteem for many who have had it done.
- Eyelid surgery: Eyelid rejuvenation enables patients to regain some of their youthfulness, despite their age. Removing excess fat and wrinkled skin can eliminate puffiness as well, causing patients to appear more tired or older than they actually are.
No matter what generation you're a part of, plastic surgery can help alleviate many of the issues that occur with age. Learn more by scheduling a consultation today.